Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Another great soda firing!


It's been a busy few weeks around here and as the solstice quickly approaches I realize I have not been keeping up with this blog. Oh, I've written a few in my head...lol. I thought I might get back into the swing of things by showing the last loading and unloading of the soda kiln.


I was anxious to get these big bottles into the kiln.


Loading large pieces like this was a first for me. Just figuring out the logistics of stacking was tricky. I decided to put them in the middle with one layer of ware under them.



The front stack went up as normal with some really great tiny ware on the bag wall...that's the wall that buffers the flame from hitting the pottery directly. Here is the front stack ready for action.


Here is a shot of the top of the bag wall.


The back stack was similar and as you can see the bottles were nestled between these two stacks.
The firing went way longer than I had expected as I was having issues with the burners. I finished up at 2 am after a 14 hour firing.....I was tired! But I had the good company of Mike from Vessels of Intention keeping me company until the very end! Thank you Mike!!!



We unstacked the kiln the next day and the results were excellent! 




I hope to get dome individual pictures of some of these pieces. 


Here is a shot of the same bag wall......I just love what this kiln does.


A small vase.


Here is the large bottle I have been working on for the last month. I'm in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment