Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Naked Raku workshop. Part 1


Yesterday we had a Raku workshop at the studio. Here are the demo pots I made on Sunday. Both are made by slumping clay on wooden cutout templates and putting together the parts. We will be firing them in two weeks with  process called Naked Raku. I'll post more about this tomorrow.


This is Mari throwing raku clay on the wheel. Today is her Birthday! Happy Birthday Mari! 



And this is her cute dog Raffi. He's our studio dog.


Hand building, although a slow process, gives us the ability to build complex forms that you could not make on the wheel. It also offers the opportunity for someone to come into the studio with no clay experience and build something very comparable to what I would build. 


Although it is not for everyone. Some folks are drawn to the wheel like a moth to a light bulb. As I was drawn years ago. The wheel is what got me hooked on clay. I threw for about six or seven years before I ever considered hand building. 


Hand building is often relegated to kids work. True it is easier for them to do as the wheel takes a great understanding of the 'center'. But when mastered hand building shows subtleties that the wheel could never capture.


Both have a place in my studio.


My son made a cupcake. I believe it is gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment