Friday, April 4, 2014

Multi part molds


Here is something I have been working on for a few months. These projects take a while to develop and my efforts are always worth it no matter where I end up. I gain new information that guides me along the journey. 
It all started when I saw an article in Pottery Illustrated that showed a potter who was slip casting by making lots of molds into one mold. I won't go into to many details as the process will make your head spin, at least it does mine. Basically I simplified this process by breaking down my mold into 4 parts, three parts mold one part hand built......oh yeah, and the handle which makes 5 pieces. 
The basic idea is you can paint colored slip onto the plaster surface than assemble the mold, pour in white stoneware slip, and viola! Out comes a piece with the colored slip inlaid into the the clay body. 
In my design I was inspired by seeds or nuts.

Here is the plaster mold with colored slips painted on.


Mold is assembled.


After the slip has formed the shell I remove the cup from the mold and start with hand building.


I wanted a hand built lip for the cup so they would not all be the same size. Some could have texture, some could be plain, some could be taller than others. The cup is a very personal thing.
After the cup has been built and bisqued I rub iron oxide into the crevices and use my matte bone glaze and fire to ∆6, that's about 2232-2269 f.


Here is the finished cup. I thought it would look nice on my kitchen table amongst the current mess that lies there this morning ( we do try to keep a clean house but with two young boys....)
So I'm extremely pleased with the results! Fun cup to use as well. I only have three made so far but I am ramping up production and they will be available locally soon!
Here is the next stage. A pitcher built in the same process. I learned a few things making the coffee cup and have applied them to the pitcher. The lip and pour spout is very time consuming to make but worth the efforts as It really sets the piece off. I should have a finished pitcher in a couple of weeks.








Still a little clean up to go but it's almost ready for the kiln.

I also got out my first cheese mold. Next week it comes out of the kiln and gets a clear glaze. It's coming along nicely.





No comments:

Post a Comment