Thursday, March 27, 2014

More fermentation

I've been working on open style fermentation crocks for a couple of years. Here is the results. They are very simple. I have two sizes: 1/2-3/4 gallon and 1- 1 1/2 gallon. Here is the smaller crock. They are hand built from a slab of clay and once assembled a ring for the top is thrown on the wheel and attached to the top. This acts as the handle as well.




The texture I have chosen is from an old carved wooden table, most likely from India. I took a plaster mold of a small section and use it like a stamp on the clay before assembly.


I also make a clay follower for pressing down the ferment. Due to the fact that the walls of the crock are straight I do not need to split the follower.


One more from the top.

I love this simple little crock. However I would love to be able to make a nice slip cast fermenting crock with a water ring for the lid. It makes fermenting absolutely fool proof! 
Personally I find nothing wrong with a little mold growing on the top of the water, it's been done this way for many generations. There are those who want a bit more cleanliness with their rotting :) 
Here is a link to a very fine example that a friend forwarded to me yesterday. Prepare yourself for a bit of sticker shock (although quite worth it I might add).

http://www.quitokeeto.com/products/fermentation-crock-matte-white-fog


On a different note the sun came out the other day and My boy Noah had a play date. So I mixed up a batch of impromptu industrial strength bubble magic! Here was our recipe:
1 cup liquid dish soap
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 cups water
2 tablespoons Glycerin ( I would have added more but thats all we had)

This recipe worked well enough but I would reduce the syrup slightly or add a bit more water.


Here is our home made bubble wand. Two wooden dowels and some cotton string with a small weight at the end.


The size of the bubbles will blow your mind! I might add that there are many, many videos on Youtube about this subject. 


No comments:

Post a Comment